Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Make it Monday - Oatmeal Spelt Muffin Recipe

Oatmeal Spelt Muffins - gluten and dairy free
Oatmeal Spelt Muffins
It's Make it Monday recipe time with Oatmeal Spelt Muffins!  Okay, granted I am getting this posted on Tuesday but I made them on Monday.

We've decided to try gluten-free again for one our kids and I went in search of my old recipes I had left.  Fortunately, Ethan, our one-year old had found them while emptying a drawer in the kitchen for me.

My kids LOVE these muffins!  I found a somewhat similar Oatmeal muffin recipe years ago online and adapted it to our liking.  You can make them with any kind of add-in: blueberries, raspberries, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.  I chose chocolate chips this week because I have two picky eaters and knew chocolate would definitely win them over.  The Oatmeal muffins are also made with Spelt, which some gluten-free eaters can tolerate and some cannot.

These muffins are super easy to make and only take a few minutes.  We make them ahead of time for school day breakfasts.  They are more dense them a regular muffin but we like them that way.  I gave Hubby a mini-muffin last night and had him try it.  I got raised eyebrows and "Wow, these are really good.  Especially for being gluten-free!".  So if you have a picky gluten-free eater, these muffins are a good addition to your recipe collection.

Oatmeal Spelt Muffins
Makes 1 dozen muffins

1 C. Oatmeal
1 C. Spelt flour
2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg (optional)
1 C. Soy, Almond or Regular Milk
2 eggs
blueberries, nuts, chocolate chips, etc., for add-ins

Mix all ingredients in bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.  Spray muffin pan or liners.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  15 minutes for mini-muffins.

Spelt flours can be bought online but we prefer Amazon.com because they are so easy to work with and trusted. If you don't have many people in your family, you might prefer Bob's Red Mill 24 oz. 4-pack. For larger families, we recommend the Great River Organic 25 lb. package. Vitaspelt also offers a 5 pound 6 pack for those that like smaller packages and don't want to deal with a large bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment